went to the Windsor community Museum some time ago. Housed in one of the sturdiest old buildings constructed in early 19th century - the Francois Baby House- it contains exhibits of windsor's very rich history. True to it's name as a community museum, I strolled around the exhibits while listening to some kid was playing very offkey music on the piano in the music classrooms upstairs.
The French sailed straight to Detroit after Montreal. Over time, french farmers settled on the south coast in Windsor. The 1812 war is an important landmark in Canadian history where Windsor was the frontline of battle.
And then Joyce and I also managed to check out the Walkerville district where there were amazing gorgeous old buildings. Since the weather has warmed up, I've also ran to the riverfront a couple of times. The sculpture park and scenic walk was a happy sight with so many families and dogs enjoying the good weather. The first time I went the sun was missing from the East side of detroit around the GM centres but was still shining and glow behind the Ambassador bridge on the west. As I propped my elbow to my face against the dark green railings, listened to the soft waves of the waters, and gazed upon the warm sunset and the silouhette of the steel frames of the bridge, how I longed to be home with my family. It was such a beautiful sight almost worthy of a cry!
When you learn about the past of something, it is hard to look at it with the same eyes. If there was a chance that you come to Windsor, and stare towards the Detroit skyline from the riverfront here, and if you got to know a little of the history of Windsor, you would wonder how the river was back in the days. The bustling port that lined the harbour and the amazing steeples would be more visible.
Now when I walk through the streets of Windsor, I sometimes imagine at the very spot of the hardships of the early farmers, the flying bullet sounds, the bustling rum town, and a respect for the near magical transformation of a city.
No comments:
Post a Comment