Sunday, November 20, 2011

After getting a lot of interviews this term and despite knowing that I am actually not smart, I started feeling and irksome conceit growing inside of me. I also relied a lot on the glitch and thought I definitely got an offer and was set for working in Toronto for the winter 2012 work term. Thereafter, I slackened a lot on my preparations for the remaining interviews and even complained about having too many.

However, it turned out that the glitch did not work for me and I did not get an offer. The day rankings come out was not a good day. I dropped from an optimistic high to a dispirited low. Since I didn't get an offer, I would have to just slog for the rest of the term and would have to go for another N number of interviews. The thought itself was tiring. What made it worse was that I actually presumed I would get the Toronto job and told a lot of my friends about it.

It is deeply humbling when things don't turn out the way you expect to be. I'm very thankful that I got matched to a job in Windsor. It's far and away and it's actually the first time I would be away for so long on my own in a foreign city. The last time I was in Hong Kong, there was some sense of isolation and a yearning for some place to quieten down despite/because of too many/too little people around me. So in some sense I am quite excited and a little worried that I'll shrink and hide outside of my workplace in Windsor.

It'll be a real test of who I am. I don't really know how I appear but I think I would have died ten thousand times if not for God's unfailing grace, mercy and blessings. My refuge and stronghold will be there for me, as long as I turn towards Him.

Thanks to friends, I've gotten some contacts and housing settled and thanks to my dad, I know that I'll be able to get chinese groceries near my place=)My supervisor also seems super nice and offered to bring me to tour the city.

Looking forward!

1 comment:

b.p. said...

I can't remember whose blog I'm following, but congrats on getting a job in Windsor! If you need any advice on getting connected in Windsor, I know a young family that I can introduce you to - I'm sure they'll be happy to help. Just message me on my Google account.