Saturday, February 19, 2011

Reflections on TTC Subway Delays

Yesterday was the third time that I experienced a termination in subway service. The fact that I rarely even take the TTC yet still have 3 of such experiences says a lot. There are many reasons for the delay. It could be due to garbage that catches on fire on the track, people committing suicide jumps, injury on platform level etc.

In any case, it was announced when I got on Dundas that train service would terminate from Bloor to Eglinton, and there would then be shuttle buses available. When I got to Eglinton, like previous experiences, there was hardly anyone guiding the crowd. Even if there was, they were without loudspeakers and could only communicate to a limited few. I followed the crowd and waited for the shuttle service for a long time but could not get on. Then a chief supervisor came along and told us to just grab a cup of coffee cause the train service was going to resume in another 20 minutes (there would then be no point waiting for the bus since hardly anyone could get on). After 20 minutes, there were no announcements and another ttc staff told me that the subway wasn't going to resume for another 3 hours. So I went back to my spot, waiting for a bus. When I finally got on, midway on the ride to Eglinton, the bus driver announced that the TTC has just resumed their train service and everyone booed.

In total, it took me 3 hours to get home to Finch from Dundas.
Objectively speaking, I think the word ‘chaos’ aptly describes the situation and there is certainly room for improvement. During the 3 hour waiting time, I had a lot of time to think. Below, I have adapted the classic emergency management approach to evaluate and suggest some constructive feedback for the present TTC subway emergency planning system.

Mitigation:
Last year, TTC decided to install platform screens and expected installation would begin in 2013. There is a lot of controversy over these installations because each stations' fixture is expected to amount to 10 million (The slow implementation of this is due to the fact that trains have to align somewhat perfectly to the screendoors, which is only possible through after TTC’s upgrade to automated train operations in 2 years). In terms of non-structural mitigations, TTC has been conducting trainings for their staff with regards to identifying suspicious behaviour and intervention techniques in the ‘Gatekeeper Program’. However, not all this is useful as even if operators manage a quick response, trains are most probably unable to halt in time.

Preparedness:
TTC is severely lacking in this. The staff was clearly as misinformed as the commuters and nobody had no idea what was going on. There should be proper signage and guidance for shuttle buses, ready to use in all stations. The PA systems on the trains and in the stations are out-dated and underutilised. If upgrading cost is too high, at the least, loudspeakers should be made available for staff to disseminate instructions (especially when directing the crowd to the pickup locations for the shuttle buses on ground level).

Response:
A quicker and more effective bottom-up reporting and top-down instruction management system needs to be in place. A more accurate estimation of the number of shuttle buses needed is crucial. Using the GIS system, perhaps TTC could identify the nearest buses to the affected area and divert some of these drivers to aid in the emergency situation. TTC should simultaneously communicate with the radio station or media outlets to broadcast the issue so drivers and commuters alike can make other travel choices or take other routes to avoid the jam on ground level.

Recovery:
It’s difficult to comment on this (because the ‘build back better’ concept can’t be used in this context…hahaha) except to highlight that TTC has long-term post traumatic counselling and a peer support for staff who have to live on with the horror of witnessing someone jump or running them over.

I do feel sorry for the people who jumped and the people who inevitably “killed” them. I also feel bad that I actually get frustrated when a person just ended their life. But beyond that, I believe these suicide track cases can be handled better. Although some say that having the safety screen is just an indication that the distressed would simply find other places to take their lives, I cannot agree completely with that view. Any chance in preventing people from committing suicide, whether it be in the form of physical barriers or human intervention is good and should be advocated.

Also, the truth is I have no idea how many of these chaotic situations boils down to track jump cases, but improvements in emergency planning would definitely come in useful in the non-suicide related times as well. Each disruption in service could cost someone to miss their opportunity in making a business deal, securing a job at an interview, getting a pass in a midterm, or even the last chance to see their dying mother. Since TTC considers itself as the third largest public transit system in North America, it should aim to be way more functional, especially if we are trying to get more people to reduce automobile usage and increase transit use.

These inconvenience and unreliable services are precisely the reasons preventing higher commuter rates. Our response comes in the question that remains to be answered: Are we willing to let our cities be cities of parasites or the most efficient social organizations possible?

No comments: