Saturday, January 22, 2011

Injustice

All of us have experienced some sort of injustice in our lives. It could have been knowing that our peers were cheating in their schoolwork but not being able to do anything about it, or maybe it was our parents always giving extra goodies to the youngest kid. That fact that it happens in such trivial sense still translates into horror when one discovers that this injustice happens on national and global scales.

I haven't been reading news regularly for the past while but this is what struck me most. The injustice in Tunisia, India, North Korea, etc. The first for the youths just trying to make ends meet when the political elites are just splurging the country's wealth on their 10th porsch or ferrari. In the widely "democratic" country of India, people are just suffering for an Act to the rights to information. The story of Mr Jethwa and his pursuit to uncover and stop illegal mining activites that were contaminating the aquifer was terminated by his assassination. His father had begged him to abandon his efforts in fear of what those with perverted authority would do to his son but Mr Jethwa persisted and told his father to forget that he had such a son. In North Korea, I don't know where to start. I don't know enough, will never. How can one ruin so many lives? It just breaks my heart to see such things. I wonder if I'll ever live to see the day the North and South reunifies.

Reading news is sometimes exciting, encouraging, enlightening but often sad. Bad news really makes news. But above all these ungodly nations and ungodly people, God looks on. More so than any of us, it must really pain Him to see his people suffering and in angry tears too to see such atrocious acts.

There is sadly nothing much I can do about this except to pray for these people. It also reminds me that these are things that we all take for granted. But rights are not always rights and reasons not always reasons.

No comments: