Tuesday, November 17, 2009

technical lessons

Last week, was by far the worst and best week of university. I was working on my paper, due the next day. felt really tired, so i went for a nap. when i got up, my laptop was black except for the white words screaming out of the screen, " no bootible table detected".

As a techno-klutz, I had no idea what that meant, but I knew it was certainly not a good omen. a few clicks on the power switch proved ineffective. a few minutes later, it was the same. since it was very late a night (or rather, very early in the morning) and i couldn't do anything about it so i took the chance to sleep.

the next couple of times i tried to restart my laptop, the same thing happened. my sister was sitting by me then, so she consulted her technolocially-competent friend. apparantly, my laptop had lost its startup command (not sure if i'm right about this, might have remembered wrongly)

and i freaked out. my paper was due in XX hours. what was i to do without my laptop? i couldn't possibly use my sisters' for the next couple of days since they needed to work on their assignments too. i would have to go to the library to work on the paper. but the library closes at midnight! (side note: the library should really be open 24/7. i'm sure a lot of people agree with my proposition) argh.... no time. told my dad about it on email. his friend had the same model as me and said that my hard drive is probably dying. going anytime soon.

i was crushed. i felt sad. like in the valley. dark and helpless. didn't know what to do.
did i have to buy a new laptop? that would take so long. and so much money. settle for a crappy one? my laptop....isn't even two years yet? why the premature death?

normally, my dad would help me with all the technical stuff. he made the decisions, and set up everything nicely for me. i didn't have to do a thing.

perhaps it's because i'm too pampered and my life's too smooth sailing, i felt an immense despair when the path turned a little rocky. the tears began to fall while i was writing to my dad. i missed him. and i felt at the mercy of technology.

but God is good. i didn't really want to alarm my sister or my mum with the crying so i went in my room and opened up the bible, and God comforted me with this.

Psalm 116

1 I love the LORD, for he heard my voice;
he heard my cry for mercy.

2 Because he turned his ear to me,
I will call on him as long as I live.

3 The cords of death entangled me,
the anguish of the grave [a] came upon me;
I was overcome by trouble and sorrow.

4 Then I called on the name of the LORD :
"O LORD, save me!"

5 The LORD is gracious and righteous;
our God is full of compassion.

6 The LORD protects the simplehearted;
when I was in great need, he saved me.

7 Be at rest once more, O my soul,
for the LORD has been good to you.

God knew my tears and worries. He understood and had compassion for me even though i'm a weak and frail sheep. and knowing that I was near breaking point ( a little exaggerated, but i was really quite upset), he brought angels to lift me up. My sister's friend/ my friend lent me his extra laptop (which i am -at this very moment- using to write this entry) and kindly took mine in to run scans and make a diagnosis. So i had my laptop worries settled for the moment, and could concentrate on my paper. My sisters and cousins were really encouraging. My mum used the best way she knew to make me feel better and cooked really awesome food for me!

At the end of the week, I learnt a couple of lessons.
1. i am weak and i need God.
2. He loves me and He will send help if I ask Him.
3. Thank you for the angels!
4. I should be more appreciative of people around me.
5. My life is not all about my laptop. Even if my laptop dies, I won't die.
6. to quote, "Technology is not difficult to learn." i think i still disagree with this...but anyways, I should make an effort to learn more about technology. Even if that means a late start at 18.

my fujitsu laptop (model name: lifebook) is still likely to be a deathbook anytime. I'm going to check if i can get it repaired using the international warranty. But i'm glad (partially) that God gave me this opportunity to experience the truth and comfort of His words=D

No comments: